Let's get craftin'!

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Chocolate Pancakes/Waffles!


For all you chocolate lovers out there, especially those who enjoy chocolate a little more on the dark side, you have got to try these!

Today I tried out a recipe for chocolate waffles, unfortunately when we made the move from Texas to Berlin, Germany our waffle iron was left in the custody of my parents. So, hello pancakes :)
I used a small gravy ladle to portion out the batter as it was poured onto the griddle, so my pancakes were not very large in diameter. They were also on the thinner side, reminding me more of a crepe, but good none the less. We enjoyed ours as a late afternoon lunch. The picture above shows raspberry rolled inside one pancake and drizzled over the others and then with chocolate shaved on top. My raspberries were frozen and were pretty mushy and formless when reheated. Fortunately they tasted great, according to my reliable taste testing husband, and the important thing as a mom is to use what you have at home. I believe I ate 4 to 4 1/2 of these small, crepe like pancakes- but I was full, completely satisfied. I am very sure that the sensation of fullness I am currently enjoying is not so conducive to my after baby health kick, BUT who can resist chocolate pancakes when it's 19 degrees F/-7 degrees C outside? (p.s. it's supposed to be 10 degrees F/-12 degrees C in the morning...burrrrrrrr! I am soo from Texas!)

This recipe uses only egg yolks in the batter, as it saves the whites to make a meringue topping...I chose to forgo the meringue this time, I have a thing about eating foods consisting of raw egg- I also had a husband hungry for scrambled eggs on my hands. You could use the meringue, but I think a cream topping more like cool whip made with heavy whipping cream would be excellent- also adding a great richness to the simpler, more subtle pancakes/waffles.

Now because these pancakes where so flat, I did a little research and came up with some tips for fluffier pancakes:

1) The batter should be fluffy, not runny. I find that if I'm using 2 cups of flour, then 1 and 3/4 cups of milk is just about right.

2) If the batter sits too long, it will liquify and give you flat pancakes

3) Beating the whites helps, but isn't necessary

4) Your griddle should be very hot when you put the batter on it too. Preheat the griddle to about 350 and only flip them once also. Flipping them too much and before they have cooked enough on one side will make them flat too.

5) Low sodium club soda in place of the liquid in any of my "batter" projects; pancakes, waffles, bisquits dumplings, etc. It makes the batter fluffy!

6) Make sure your baking soda is not too old. It loses its punch after a while. Try pouring a little on a saucer and put a little water on it. It should fizz. If it doesn't, throw it away and buy some new baking powder.

7)Don't "pat" the pancakes!

I hope these tips help, I know that I already learned a little about why mine were coming out flat. All in all they still tasted great and made for a sweet change of pace. And of course, when all else fails, just add Nutella. If you don't know what that is, it is a hazelnut spread and you really need to go BUY some because you don't know what you're missing :)

1 comment:

  1. Hello Driven Mom

    I to have lived overseas, it is hard to be so far away from the ones you love. But always know that you are in their hearts and theirs in yours. You and your littles ones make the most of every chance you have with your family in Texas.

    The pancakes sound great and I know my husband will love them. "Who doesn't like chocolate" It sounds like the perfect Valentine Day breakfast or dessert.

    I agree with you 100% one picks their own got to do's in life.

    All the Best Driven Mom

    Best regards,
    "Time Will Tell"

    ReplyDelete