Let's get craftin'!

Monday, January 18, 2010

Doing the Doggie Paddle in the Bear State

So here I am in Berlin, Germany, the bear state, and I find myself a lone Texan. My husband and I moved here to spend more time with his parents, especially since he is an only child and all. I, however, am one of three.

The real ringer is that when we moved here, I was seven months pregnant. Did I mention that I don't speak German? So now I am the new mom of a beautiful baby girl, trying to figure out all the momness that all new moms have to learn while at the same time frightened to go out into the world of sausages, sauerkraut, and chocolate alone because, OH YEAH, I don't speak German...at least not in complete sentences- which poses somewhat of a problem.

Before we moved I was always busy. I was either in school, finishing my degree, or starting my career as a teacher. Don't get me wrong, being a stay at home mom has always been a dream of mine, but it DEFINITELY takes some adjusting. It is a different life and routine. I wouldn't trade it for anything though, I love the fact that I am able to watch my daughter grow and develop each day. The real issue is what to DO with myself besides just taking care of my infant. I want to feel productive in other ways too. I want to nurture and develop my talents further. AND, I of course NEED to learn German!

I feel that most days I have barely been keeping my head above water. But, with the new year, this is as good a time as any to get my act together and achieve better balance and fulfillment in my life. I need to stay charged and fulfilled spiritually and emotionally so that I will be able to better give and share with my family, you can't give if your cup is empty and you can't give much if it's only half full. I choose to have a full cup, a cup that runneth over- so to speak.

They say that necessity is the mother of invention. I think that necessity is also the mother of sink or swim. So, for now, I find myself doing the doggie paddle in the bear state.

No comments:

Post a Comment